Waste management statistics released
Provisional Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics for October to December 2020 have been published by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
This statistical report is updated quarterly and contains provisional information on key measurements of local authority collected (LAC) municipal waste for councils and waste management groups in Northern Ireland It is available at: https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/northern-ireland-local-authority-collected-municipal-waste-management-statistics. This is the third quarterly waste report to include data from a period when measures and advice were implemented in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The key points are:
- Northern Ireland’s councils collected 255,810 tonnes of waste during October to December 2020 which was 9.2% higher than the same three months in 2019.
- During October to December 2020, 47.3% of waste collected by councils was sent for recycling, 1.6% lower than the recycling rate for October to December 2019.
- The landfill rate for waste collected by councils recorded a new low of 23.3% in October to December 2020, a fall from 75.4% in October to December 2006 and from 24.1% during October to December 2019.
- Over a quarter (26.4%) of waste arisings were sent for energy recovery in October to December 2020, compared to 23.8% in October to December 2019, and 0.5% during the same quarter in 2009.
- Household waste accounted for 89.3% of all waste collected during this period.
- The recycling rate for household waste was 47.9%, down from 49.8% in October to December 2019. The landfill rate for household waste was 23.2%, a fall from 23.8% compared to the same quarter last year.
The statistical report containing more detail can be accessed via the DAERA website: https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/northern-ireland-local-authority-collected-municipal-waste-management-statistics.
This is the latest in a regular series of quarterly Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics reports and is the third report for the 2020/21 financial year, covering the period October to December 2020. Current and previous reports dating back to 2009/10 can be accessed from the DAERA website. The series will continue to be updated on a quarterly basis.