The 149th Balmoral Show will be a four-day event, it was confirmed yesterday.
At its meeting on Friday, June 3, the Council of the RUAS accepted the recommendation of its Show Dates’ Committee that the 2017 Balmoral Show should run from Wednesday 10 to Saturday May 13.
The council went on to task the committees and staff to ensure that the aim of a successful four-day show is achieved while continuing the drive of the RUAS to financial stability and, most importantly, while meeting the needs of livestock exhibitors and trade exhibitors.
Balmoral Show is Northern Ireland’s flagship agricultural event attracting tens of thousands of spectators every year. The move to Balmoral Park at the Maze four years ago has given the show a huge boost.
Lagan Valley MP Jeffrey Donaldson said he was delighted that the decision had been taken to expand the show, describing it as ‘a huge boost for Northern Ireland’s rural community’.
He added that he was certain it would prove to be a popular decision with the rural community across Northern Ireland.
“I am delighted that following the success of the Balmoral Show at the Maze site that it is to be expanded into a fourth day,” he said.
“The show will now continue onto the Saturday which is great news for families across Northern Ireland. It could well be that Saturday proves to be the most popular day of the show.”
Mr Donaldson said he believed the decision to expand the show demonstrates the success of the move to the Balmoral Park.
He continued: “This is the right decision and it demonstrates the popularity of the Maze site and it is great for the Balmoral Show.”
While, the news of an extra day of Balmoral Show will be widely welcomes there will no doubt be concerns raised over the traffic congestion that has been a feature in recent years.
Mr Donaldson explained that work would be undertaken to improve the situation.
“We are hoping to get progress on the new link road - a connection to the M1 - which would undoubtedly help traffic access the site.”