Ready Egg Products Ltd was today fined £7,500 plus costs of £1,033 at Omagh Crown Court for health and safety failings that led to the serious injury of an employee.
Today’s sentencing comes after a Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) investigation into the incident at the Ready Egg premises, Lisnaskea, on 21 August 2014. A 56 year old employee with the company, was injured when his hand was pulled into an unguarded conveyor roller while he carried out routine machinery maintenance. Sadly, as a result of his injuries, and after a number of operations, the employee lost all the fingers of his right hand.
The machine, a manure dryer common in egg production plants, had been supplied in 2012 without the appropriate guarding but was being used in the production process in this dangerous condition. At no time did the company recognise the need to guard the conveyor thereby exposing employees to significant risk of injury for some time.
Speaking after today’s sentencing, Jonathan Close, an inspector with HSENI’s Major Investigation Team said: “While not specific to the egg processing industry, the risks from entanglement in machinery rollers are well known. Employers must make sure that all machinery is properly guarded and that employees are trained, competent and authorised to operate machinery.”
For information about health and safety at work, visit the HSENI website at: www.hseni.gov.uk
For work equipment and machinery guidance, please visit: www.hseni.gov.uk/articles/work-equipment-and-machinery