Do you export slurry?

editorial image

The Nitrates Action Programme Regulations 2015 - 2018 and the Phosphorus Regulations have been effective from 1 January 2015, writes UFU Policy Officer David Oliver.

The rules set out in the NAP and Phosphorus Regulation Guidance booklet apply to all farm businesses in Northern Ireland. If you are undertaking any of the activities covered by the regulations you have a legal obligation to comply with the rules, regardless of whether or not you are claiming any area-based scheme payments. Failure to comply may lead to legal action being taken against your business by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA).

The UFU would like to remind farmers that due to changes to the single farm payment regime this year, many farmers have found that there are changes to the land parcels that they are farming. If land is no longer available to a farmer, they could find themselves over the 170kgN/ha/year limit for the first time this year and therefore to comply with the nitrogen loading limit may find themselves needing to export slurry off their farm.

Under the Nitrates Action Programme 2011 - 2014 a record of all organic manure exports off the farm must have been recorded and made available during an inspection. Under the new NAP 2015-2018 Regulations these records of exports of organic manure must now be submitted to NIEA by 31 January for previous calendar year. For example, records for 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015 must be submitted by 31 January 2016. If you do not submit your records on time, the information cannot be taken into account for calculating nitrogen loading on your farm.

Submitted records must contain the following:

Date moved,

Type of livestock manure,

Quantity (tonnes or m3),

Transporters name and address,

Importers name and business I.D.

In lieu of a business ID a signature and address would be essential. In all circumstances the names and addresses should also be included.

Exports of livestock manure (including poultry litter and slurry) between Northern Ireland and ROI are regulated by animal by-product (ABP) legislation. If you are exporting livestock manure to the ROI you need to complete an application form for authorisation to export.

Template export forms for exports within Northern Ireland can be obtained from the UFU website.

Completed forms to be sent to: DOE Northern Ireland Environment Agency, 17 Antrim Road, Tonagh, Lisburn, Co. Antrim, BT28 3AL