Slurry export forms

editorial image

The UFU would like to remind farmers that due to changes to the Single Farm Payment regime this year, many farmers have found that there are changes to the land parcels that they are farming. 

If land is no longer available to a farmer, they could find themselves over the 170kgN/ha/year limit for the first time this year and therefore to comply with the nitrogen loading limit may find themselves needing to export slurry off their farm.

Under the Nitrates Action Programme (2011-2014) a record of all organic manure exports off the farm must have been recorded and made available during an inspection. However, under the new NAP (2015-2018) Regulations these records of exports of organic manure must now be submitted to NIEA by 31 January for the previous calendar year.

For example, records for 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015 must be submitted by 31 January 2016.

If you do not submit your records on time, the information cannot be taken into account for calculating nitrogen loading on your farm. 

Submitted records must contain the following;

• Date moved,

• Type of livestock manure,

• Quantity (tonnes or m3),

• Transporter’s name and address,

• Importer’s name and business ID.

In lieu of a business ID a signature and address would be essential.

Exports of livestock manure (including poultry litter and slurry) between Northern Ireland and ROI are regulated by Animal By-Product (ABP) legislation.

If you are exporting livestock manure to the ROI you need to complete an application form for authorisation to export.

Template export forms for exports within Northern Ireland can be obtained from the UFU website. Completed forms to be sent to: DOE Northern Ireland Environment Agency, 17 Antrim Road, Tonagh, Lisburn, Co Antrim, BT28 3AL