Don't miss out on a refund

As farming students begin winding down for the year, TV Licensing is reminding those moving home for the summer they may be able to claim a refund, worth £36, on their licence.

Students who bought a TV Licence at the start of the academic year will have three full months remaining on their licence, and a refund can be claimed for this unused quarter.

To be eligible for the refund, students need to have a TV Licence with three months remaining on it, be leaving their halls or rented accommodation and be moving to a licensed address. Students can apply for their refund online or over the phone.

For those agricultural students who aren’t returning home, but moving straight into a shared house or private accommodation, they can easily move their TV Licence to their new address.

Jason Hill, spokesperson for TV Licensing, said: “The student refund is brilliant news for students and we encourage those who bought their licence at the start of the academic year to claim the refund they’re entitled to. For those who aren’t moving back home for the summer, they can easily transfer their licence to their new student digs.

“It’s important students buy a TV licence at the earliest opportunity when starting university if they want the peace of mind of being able to watch whenever they want and to be eligible for the refund. They can also take advantage of our flexible payment options. We want to help students understand the law when it comes to watching live TV on any device so they can avoid the risk of a fine of up to £1,000.”

Recent research by TV Licensing shows two-in-five students have a tablet at university capable of streaming live TV. A TV Licence is needed to watch, record or stream programmes at the same time as they are shown on a TV, laptop, games console, tablet, mobile phone, or any other device.

Fergal McFerran, President of NUS-USI, which is the student movement in Northern Ireland said: “Many students find it difficult to make ends meet, and that can be particularly the case near the end of the academic year. I would encourage all students that who are entitled to this TV licence refund to claim it.

“It is essential that anyone who needs a TV licence gets one, and the schemes that TV Licensing have put in place make it easy for people to change the address on their TV licence or gain a refund if they’re entitled to.”

To arrange a refund or change address, simply visit:, or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6113.

Related topics: