Netflix’s The Crown: London EDM icons Faithless add their own spin on the opening theme to Netflix series
Icons of London’s clubland scene, Faithless has turned to remixing the work of Hans Zimmer as The Crown reaches the 90s.
Much celebrated, sometimes reviled but always talked about Netflix series The Crown has returned to our screens as the series makes it into the 90s. With the new season and new decade comes new drama as the Queen, then Prince Charles, Princess Diana, John Major and Dodi Fayed deal with the public scrutiny after Diana’s explosive interview.
With the setting now in the 90s, series creators have delved into both the look and feel of the decade, and given that Britannia ruled the airwaves throughout this period, then the music would also need to represent that era. Enter pioneering electronic London group Faithless, who were asked to remix Hans Zimmer’s’s now world famous theme for the new series.
“I could hear in my head how this mix could work around Hans Zimmer’s iconic and dramatic strings,” Sister Bliss from the group explained. “I dug around in the vaults and found lots of sounds and samples we actually saved from the 1990s when we were making our albums. I thought ‘these are genuinely good’, so I loaded them up for this remix of Hans Zimmer’s score.”
Speaking about ensuring that their remix retained the indelible, anthemic sound the group became renowned for with Insomnia and God Is A DJ, Bliss explained “We wanted this to be unapologetically Faithless and use some of the very original sounds that myself and Rollo made together.”
Touted as a “three-minute sonic journey that harks back to the sounds of 90s’ dance floors”, The Crown (Faithless remix) earned airplay this week on Radio 2’s Zoe Ball Breakfast Show, and a music video has appeared on YouTube channel Still Watching Netflix.
Who is starring in Season 5 of The Crown?
The full cast list for Season 5 of The Crown is as follows:
- Imelda Staunton - Queen Elizabeth II
- Lesley Manville - Princess Margaret
- Jonathan Pryce - Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- Elizabeth Debecki - Princess Diana
- Dominic West - Plays Prince Charles
- Olivia Williams - Camilla Parker Bowles
- Jonny Lee Miller - John Major
- Bertie Carvel - Tony Blair
- Lydia Leonard - Cherie Blair
- Anatoly Kotenev - Boris Yeltsin
- Marcia Warren - Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
- Timothee Sambor / Senan West - Prince William
- Claudia Harrison - Princess Anne
- James Murray - Prince Andrew
- Emma Laird Craig - Sarah Ferguson
- Sam Woolf - Prince Edward
- Humayun Saeed - Dr Hasnat Khan
- Khalid Abdalla - Dodi Fayed
- Salim Dau - Mohammed Al-Fayed
- Andrew Havill - Robert Fellowes
- Natascha McElhone - Penny Knatchbull
- Oliver James - James Colthurs
- Timothy Dalton - Peter Townsend
- Ben Warwick - Jonathan Dimbleby
- Andrew Steele - Andrew Morton
- Prasanna Puwanarajah - Martin Bashir
- Michael Jibson - Steve Hewlett
- Nicholas Gleaves - John Birt
- Richard Cordery - Duke Hussey, the Chairman of the board at the BBC
- Victor McGuire - ‘amateur radio operator’ who gets the audio recordings of Prince Charles and Camilla talking intimately
How do I sign up to Netflix?
Netflix can be subscribed to on three different tiers:
- Basic - £6.99
- Standard - £10.99
- Premium - £15.99
Netflix is advert free and can be cancelled at any time. For more information or to sign up, visit the Netflix sign-up page.
This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.